Pat,

To link a child to 2 Parents, in Family View highlight the child in a main
panel, click the parents' icon and in the new screen select "add new parents"
or select "from existing parents". Selecting "Add" will give you "Unknown and
Unknown" whilst "Existing" will take to to the married list were you can select
the couple.

At present you are only linking to one parent - hence the confusion.

Update your British Prime Ministers Timeline - Blogs
http://www.fergys.co.uk
View the Grimshaw Family Tree at:
http://www.fergys.co.uk/Grimshaw/
For The Fergusons of N.W. England See:

> Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 16:49:44 -0400
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
> Subject: [LegacyUG] V 7.0.0.53 - Problem linking parents to child
>
> Dear LUGGERS,
>
> I have had a recurring problem --or several inter-related
> problems--linking parents to a child with both versions 6 & 7 and I
> surely hope somebody can straighten me out!
>
> This time, I had somehow entered John Doe as a grandson instead of a son.
>
> So I unlinked him from Jacob Doe (who was really his brother) and linked
> him to his father, John William Doe (who had only one wife).
> As Legacy has ALWAYS done in my experience, it decided John Doe’s mother
> was a 2nd, Unknown, wife, and gave John William Doe this new Unknown
> wife with John Doe as their only child.
>
> So I deleted Unknown Wife from John William Doe (JWD) and got a screen
> (as I always have) telling me that their child John Doe would remain
> linked to the individual at the top of the screen, namely John William Doe.
>
> Fine, that's what I wanted.
>
> However, that’s not what happened.
>
> Once I deleted Unknown wife I had JWD and Mary White (Doe) and 10
> children, with John nowhere to be found. This, too, has always happened.
> So why is John NOT showing up?
>
> (Also, having deleted his Unknown mother but not unlinked him from his
> father, (according to the Legcy pop-up box) I looked up John Doe in the
> name list --- BUT
> when I brought him up --in the Family View screen -- he had No father or
> any other relations!!)
>
> Since I couldn’t link in his parents easily, I decided to do it the
> other way round and go to their Family View and link him in as a son.
>
> BUT I was unable to see a way to add him to JWD and Mary White as a son
> as he was child #11 and there were just two columns of 5 children each
> and no blank to click in. I could have probably clicked in the lower
> right corner, but I didn’t think about it. (I had it set up, I THOUGHT
> to Best Fit as I’d sometimes been seeing one column of children,
> sometimes 2, and sometimes 3 depending on the number of children.)
> Finally it occurred to me to click on JWD's screen and give an Edit
> Children command which I did. That listed his 10 brothers and sisters
> and I clicked on the option to Add a brother, and linked him in at that
> point. So now -- at long last -- he is child #11 (he was the last born).
>

> QUESTION: Is there some way to set Legacy so that
> 1) when I need to link in a parent, it will ASK me, e.g., whether I want
> to link in the father's existing wife as the mother OR add a new
> wife/mother ?
> OR
> 2) if there is already more than one wife so that it will ask me WHICH
> wife is the mother OR whether I want to create a new one?
>

> At some point, I went to Help> Add Parents.
>
> ==
> HELP tells me>

> [...]

Invite your Facebook friends to chat on Messenger
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/101719649/direct/01/