From: John Carter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] GPS Coordinates
To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
Date: Monday, July 21, 2008, 6:01 PM

Any GPS system locates your position on a map via the lat/long coordinates
provided from the satellite receiver.  The portable GPS units typically
have a menu that can give the actual lat/long coordinates in addition to
providing the map display.  I've used 4 different GPS units and each
offered the actual coordinates.  An in-dash GPS unit in a car may or may
not have a lat/long display, but many of the places of interest to me
(grave at the back of an old cemeery) can't be reached by car - you must
get out and walk ;-)

The questions for you are:
Does the cell phone
1) actually have a GPS in it (versus the carrier providing location via
trangulation between cell towers)?
2) provide a way to see the coordinates?

If the phone gives a "GPS location" while inside a multi-story
building or
one with a metal roof, it's more likely to be a triangulation location
from the network carrier than a true GPS in the phone.  A *extremely* good
GPS receiver and antenna are required to work through walls and roofs -
sometimes the GPS satellite signals can be blocked by thick trees
overhanging a roadway.

You might consider an entry level GPS instead of a cell phone - unlike a
cell phone, it's a one-time purchase with no monthly charges ;-)  If
you're in the US, Office Depot has a TomTom Go ONE portable GPS (their
item 462035) for $100US after rebate (today only).  Staples has the
similar Navigon 2100 (their item 715939) for $130US (may only be this
week).  The regular price on each of these units is $200US.  Note that
maps in GPS units are rapidly out-dated in some areas by road construction
- plan on replacing a navigational GPS (or the maps int it - some are on a
removable card) every few years.  A GPS that is primarily used for
lat/long coordinates will last a long time - the Earth itself doesn't move
around much (except along earthquake fault lines).

John