With apologies to the programmers, <grin>

Adding a date to the backup should be a user-selectable option. If the user decides to use the auto-dating backup feature, then there should also be an option as to the date format used with the backups. My computers are set up to display the date in 'dd MMM yyyy' format, wheras I manually save my Legacy backups in 'yyyy MMM dd, dddd' format. (example: 2008 Jan 01, Tuesday) Even the time could be added to the backup for those who wish to make several backups during the day. There could even be a choice that would give the backup file its base name, such as "Smith Genealogy." (The base name could even default to the name of the .fdb database in use at the time.) A resulting self-generating backup file might look like: "Smith Genealogy (2008 Jan 01, Tuesday; 15:27:12.32).zip." By including the time, there would be no chance of accidentally overwriting an existing backup. For those who like to keep a reduced number of backups, there could also be a user-selected option to automatically keep the last "X" number of days-worth of backups and delete the rest. By days-worth, I mean that Legacy would save, let's say, the last 14 individual days of backups, each day of which could have numerous backups. There may only be 14 backups retained if only one backup per day was made, or there might be 27 backups retained over the last 14 days-worth of backups if numerous backups were made each day. For those who might have a backup or two, or three... that he/she wants to keep from being automatically deleted, there could be a user-selected exclusion list for those filenames that are to be protected.

What are some of the thoughts of other LUGers? Is this something that the programmers should pursue?
I can see it now... Legacy will eventually be a  100 MB download!  <arrgh>

Mark