I having been trying for eons to get a cousin to switch to Legacy so we can use IntelliShare. After many many years using FTM she's finally fed-up enough with the last version to make the change. Now, since we're at V.7 I have to backtrack with my enthusiasm and give excuses and warnings instead. Another not-so-happy camper.
-----
JL
JLog - simple computer technology for genealogists
http://www3.telus.net/Jgen/jlog.html

Bruce McArthur wrote:

Hi

It's me again - the lurker and lumper.

I hate to defend TMG because it is slow and old fashioned in its user interface but it does have one advantage over Legacy that this group has highlighted for me. That is it all works. The latest version of Legacy appears to me to be full of bugs in crucial areas notably the new source writer. Also I have just spent a few hours messing about with this very attractive feature with a gedcom imported from TMG and it is not possible to merge an imported source with a similar source created by the source writer without losing the imported source detail. Consequently it would be a major rewrite to move from TMG to Legacy for me as I am a source lumper and have about 10000 people in my tree. Assuming each person features in 2 or 3 censuses on average for example there is 20-30000 source details I would have to recreate just for starters. Perhaps that is something your cousin should consider. It's certainly putting me off.

As for the software comparison table I never believe self-publicity - I believe there is a similar table on the Wholly Genes website! And who uses the alarm clock anyway? TMG has unlimited nameable flags (tags) which can take multiple one character values which is a far superior system to Legacy but the table just says tags = yes for both programs. Also the main person screen shows all the applicable events and related people so you don't have to click in different places to see them. One of the best features of TMG is a sister program called Second Site which is a customisable web site creation tool which operates directly on the TMG database and is far superior to the Legacy web page facility.

To be fair I like the way Legacy is fast, the source writer will be fantastic when it is finished and working and I like the mapping feature although it would be a mountainous amount of effort to use it as it doesn't recognise most of my locations unless I prod it hard. The Research Guidance is too US oriented to be of much use to me and anyway I prefer to think for myself.

Still lurking and pondering but maybe the grass isn't always greener.

regards

Bruce McArthur
Newcastle upon Tyne
Northumberland