I finally decided to try the SourceWriter for U.S. census images.  I located
an image of the 1850 census on the new FamilySearch record search pilot
site.  However, I am at a loss to know how to find the NARA roll number.  I
check the FHL catalog using the film number given, but it is not listed.

All the different sites use a different numbering system for the census.  Is
it best just to look for the stamped numbers and type, for example 104(a)
and then something like 725 (handwritten).

Also, a few suggestions for the Legacy folks, I noticed that it's impossible
to see the entire light gray examples in the fields in the sourcewriter
because the minute you click in the box to try to scroll over, it
disappears.  Also, since there are becoming increasingly more website that
offer images of the census, it seems to me that it would be a better idea to
enter the website on the details page instead of the source page so that you
don't have to have 3 or 4 separate souces for the same county.

TIA for your suggestions,

Thanks,
Melanie Tucker