This is getting off-topic for a Legacy discussion, so I will not respond
to this thread on the mailing list.  If you have questions, please email
me directly:
ads [at] wizardanswers [dot] com

Most of the content of a hard drive can be recovered if you have access to
a PC with some recovery software.  The commercial recovery services are
cost-prohibitive for most of us (OnTrack wants about $1800US for a 40GB
drive, plus the cost of CD/DVD media), but there is software available
that can recover from all but physical damage to the disk.  One commercial
program is "Stellar Phoenix" which starts about $300US (there are other
commercial programs and some shareware/freeware as well).  I used Stellar
Phoenix several years ago when doing laptop maintenance/recovery for a
consulting company.  When I left the company, they weren't interested in
making the effort to have the software license transferred to one of their
computers, so I fell heir to an occasionally very useful tool.

John