I'm in Australia and use GenSmarts, I like the sandbox feature where
you set up your own complex searches of your Legacy file.  From that I
could gauge which people to look at for military records, indexes etc,
because GenSmarts makes guesses at dating for individuals.  While the
suggested dating is useful as a guide, don't completely trust it. You
may find some other GenSmarts' elements useful, where it suggests some
online searching for some of your gaps, Legacy now has more powerful
searching so it covers some of GenSmarts features.

I've only just bought Personal Historian, so I can't really comment on
it yet.  It's supposed to help you write out your personal history on
various topics.  I've noticed that it will suggest various themes and
the help section was useful.  I have plans on using it and mixing the
themes and some of the interview questions from Legacy to get
information in oral/video history format, then I'll use Personal
Historian to help me flesh it out into a more readable format - I like
using the Fog Index for that.  So yes there are many Americanisms in
the programs, but you can pick and choose the elements that are useful
to you.

Cheers
Tracy

** $10 OFF when you spend $50 or more in our store.
   Use coupon code: ‘Legacy2008’ at checkout. Offer expires 10/31/08 **