I am glad you are up and running Barbara.  For the future I have a
simple solution in case you ever want to do this sort of thing again.
I do NOT save my downloads to the desktop.  In the My Documents
folder, I added a new folder called My Downloads, and within that
folder I have added folders called for example...

ACT Downloads
Legacy Downloads
FotoSlate Downloads
Adobe Photoshop Downloads
Picasa Downloads
Firefox Downloads

When I save a download, I browse to the appropriate folder in My
Downloads folder and save it there.

After I have saved it, I go to My Computers, then My Documents, then
My Downloads, locate the file and right click on it, and then click on
Properties.  I click on the Summary tab, and enter information about
what the Download actually is (sometimes the file name is just
downright weird & two years down the road you will have no idea
whether it was the original program download or an update or what).

If there are manuals or anything pretaining to the program that I also
drop it into the downloads folder so that everything pretaining to
each download is all there together.

Also if there are multiple downloads for the same program, I often
name the file folder by the date I downloaded it
For example:
My Documents
      My Downloads
             Adobe Photoshop Downloads
                     Photoshop 6 Downloads Nov 2005
                     Photoshop 6 Downloads April 2006
                     Photoshop CS2 Downloads Dec 2007
                     Photoshop CS3 Downloads June 2008

This way I have a running record of what I downloaded and when, with
all the pertinant files inside each file folder

To transfer your downloads to a new computer, all you have to do is
put the My Downloads files onto a Memory stick or cd or dvd, or file
transfer stick of some kind, stick it in your new computer and copy/
paste the entire folder into the My Documents folder on your new
computer.  I get new computers at least once a year and have done this
dozens of times and it works great.

Allison