Keith,

I believe you to be correct here. I have always considered that AKAs are
primarily for legal names, such as those given after the registration of the
birth, through marriage or by deed-poll.

I also use them where there are standard(?) spelling variations due to
illiteracy eg. "Hayes" and "Heyes" which for the same person may vary in parish
registers, birth, marriage, death certificates etc. Both names being perfectly
valid.

I do not use them for nick-names, or what one might call familiar names such as
"Dan" for "Daniel", "Jim" for "James" and so on, as I consider that is what the
quoted name option is for.

*New Tutorial* Publish your Web Pages  - Blogs
http://www.fergys.co.uk
View the Grimshaw Family Tree at:
http://www.fergys.co.uk/Grimshaw/
For The Fergusons of N.W. England See:

> Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 20:55:12 -0500
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
> Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Surname after divorce on reports
>
> Discovered my problem after my post - SORRY! I do always enter
> females by their birth (maiden) name. One of my AKAs was sneaking
> into the picture and caught my eye - a close read showed that is was
> marked correctly.
>
> I would guess that I would have to use the AKA field for a legally
> changed name too - ie) My mother was married a second time - divorced
> and wished to return to her previous husband's last name so that it
> would again match her children and grandchildren. The courts granted
> this - so her death cert., etc. show the first married name rather
> than the later one. Confusing but workable with the AKA system.
>
> Thanks
> Keith
>
> On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 8:40 PM, Michele Lewis
>  wrote:
>> Your reports should be showing the female's MAIDEN name. The correct way to
>> enter females is my maiden name. All married names should be in the AKA
>> field.
>>
>> michele
>>

>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "GeoSci"

BigSnapSearch.com - 24 prizes a day, every day - Search Now!
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/117442309/direct/01/