Using Version 7.0.0.76

I think I need a brain transplant. I just can't capture the sequence of the source overrides. Example: I used the books, author known, basic format. I fill out the master source template and then modify the contents using the override and save. It is easier to do this and modify rather than enter all from scratch. I don't continue to the detail at this point because there are multiple people listed in this book and each is done on an individual basis. When I use "cite a master source" and fill in the detail and save, the detail information does not show in the output preview or anywhere else.

Can some kind soul explain the step-by-step instructions for overriding?

Thanks,
Kay Fordham