To: LegacyUserGroup@LegacyFamilyTree.com
Sent: Wednesday, December 31, 2008 2:23 PM
Subject: [LegacyUG] Vista Data Redirection

I recently noticed some odd behaviour with Legacy that I will share here.

I noticed I could only see all my data files and backups from within Legacy only. If I used Windows Explorer or using search, these files couldn't be seen at all. Odd indeed. I originally ignored this until I tried to do a update and lost all my files, or so I thought.

As it turns out, under Vista you are not supposed to store data in the "Program Files" directory. all files placed there are supposed to be placed there by "trusted installers". For backward compatibilty Microsoft has some sort of redirection driver that places your data in a directory called "Virtual Store"...

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files

...as opposed to...

C:\Program Files

Somehow in doing the Legacy update, the link to the data files was lost.

I have since moved all my data files into the "Documents" folder and edited my options to reflect this.

Gary