From: Jenny M Benson <ge...@cedarbank.me.uk>
To: LegacyUserGroup@LegacyFamilyTree.com
Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 5:35:33 AM
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Bug or Problem with Search Alt Names

Paul Croteau wrote
> I was looking for a person whom I remembered their "alternate name".  I
> selected; Search -> Find -> Query by Example and input the alternate name
> "cate" -> Pressed Create List.  Negative results found was the conclusion.

I'm not surprised that your Search didn't find the record you were looking for
because there is nowhere on the QBE tab to enter an Alternate Name as a search
parameter!

Whatever you enter on that screen will only be looked for in the field in which
you entered it.  So if you searched with "James" in the Given Name field, for
example, it will not find the records of John James and Joan James because
James is their surname.

If you want to search on the lesser-used fields that are not included in QBE
you will need to get to grips with Detailed Search.  It is really not
difficult!  Just practise with it a bit, try different search terms and see
what comes up.  I'm sure you'll soon get comfortable with it!

-- Jenny M Benson