CE WOOD wrote:
So HOW do I look where it is sending itself since there is no clue on the Merge Backup screen that tells me. I THINK it is backed up in the Legacy Temp folder, as a ~BM file, but have no idea how to access it. The fact that some sort of backup file can be created without an Error 91 might help Support figure out what is different between the programming for each type of backup. I am hoping for a way to backup my file without triggering an Error 91, and I am sure Legacy might also want to find a solution to this. Carolyn

From the help file;

"Making a backup copy of your Family File before doing a Merge is a good practice. The merge process changes the Family File, creating new links and destroying others. If you merge two individuals who are not really duplicates, it is impossible to retrieve the deleted record unless you have a backup.

"Legacy makes a TEMPORARY backup copy of the Family File automatically when you begin a merge but this backup is only available during the current session. When you quit Legacy, the temporary backup file is deleted. If you discover later that you want to restore an earlier condition of your Family File, you can only do so if you have made a permanent backup.

"To make a backup copy of your Family File, click Backup...

"To continue on to the Merge Options window without making a backup, click Continue.

What this tells me is that it is only a TEMPORARY file that is NOT saved as a regular backup. I could not find any way of restoring from this TEMPORARY file but since I made no changes in the merge (there were no duplicates) I assume that a restore from this TEMPORARY backup is only available if changes are made.

Perhaps Sherry could check with the programmers and verify this as I could find no further reference in the help files.

As far as getting a valid backup, my backup zip files containing the following Legacy files;

Youngs v7.fdb
Youngs v7.FG
Youngs v7.IGI
Youngs v7.NC
Youngs v7.Rel
Youngs v7.RGD
Youngs v7.TC

I used a normal zip program (Ultimate Zip, but any will do) and zipped the above files to a test file. This file restored perfectly in Legacy and a comparison program verified that the resulting family file was identical to the original. Anyone who is nervous about the backups they are getting with the error 91 can back up their files as above. If you include different files in your backups you can include those also.
--
Gene Y.
n2kvs