Kathy Shiell-Stokes <shearerfamilyt...@3web.com> wrote:

> Just curious how other users track communication links
> amongst their family members. In my case, tracking those
> linkages could lead to new sources of information. Some
> links could potentially be between completely separate
> families.  Let me give you an example:
> I am related to both the Shearer and Cleland families. Both
> families have been neighbours and or inlaws of each other
> for decades..possibly centuries. Both families come from the
> same area of Scotland so  it is entirely possible that there
> are far more intermarriages than are currently known. I
> would like to be able to track these intersection points as
> well as any other intersections with other families under
> study. Does anyone have interesting ways of linking these
> folks so that these new avenues might become apparent?
> Kathy

Kathy,

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking, but let me take a stab:

Sometimes, when I see a surname popping up frequently via intermarriages with
one of my ancestral line, I enter basic data that I find about that family,
even though they are not directly related to me.  It's a little harder to do in
Legacy than it was in my previous program, because Legacy does not
automatically search to see if you already have a person in your database when
you enter a "new" person, but there are ways to make sure you haven't entered
the same person twice.

It was in this way that I discovered that the same LANE family intermarried
with both my father's side of the family and my mother's side of the family in
Southern Illinois almost 100 years before my father and my mother met in
Missouri.  When I want to know more about the LANEs, I just run a search,
identify their patriarch(s), then print a descendant type report that will tell
me how and where they "intersect" with my families.

Currently, I'm entering data about the family of a "cousin" of my father who
wasn't biologically or legally related (My father's aunt and uncle essentially
raised her and she was always considered part of the family, participating in
all family events, etc.).  I don't link her in any way, but I put notes in her
Legacy record and in my uncle's record to explain the situation.

You don't have to "link" everyone in your data base via birth or marriage; you
can have "stand alone" people or families in your database.

You could also "tag" people who meet whatever criteria you are interested in,
then print reports from there.

Hope this gives you a few ideas.

Connie