To: "LegacyUserGroup" <LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 8:28 AM
Subject: [LegacyUG] The dreaded update nightmare

While trying to do a Multiple Line of Descent report, I was finding some problems, so finally, after nearly a year of being afraid to incur all the problems associated with updating my V7 deluxe from build 55 to the most current, I went to Legacy Home and clicked on upgrade to build 90........... sad, really sad.

After the update, I received the Run-time error '339':
"Component 'Vsocx6.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered:
a file is missing or invalid"
The Legacy support page tell me to;
"download and save the file to the C:\Windows\System32, the C:\Windows\System
or the C:\WINNT\System32 folder depending on your operating system"
I did that even though Vsocx6.ocx was already there. This did NOT solve the problem and the updated Legacy program would still not open.

Then I logged in as administrator on my XP-home SP3 system and went to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs, and clicked Uninstall Legacy. The "Uninstall" was really rapid - maybe 5 seconds, but still showed Legacy "Installed" in the Add / Remove programs. The desktop shortcut to start Legacy was still available, so I clicked it and Legacy opened and warned that it was necessary to convert my old .fdb file to the new format. I clicked proceed and after a short period received a new error message:
"Error converting family file.
Error 3265: Item not found in this collection.
Would you like to TRY IT AGAIN?
Legacy Support page shows:
Error 3265
With Legacy closed, delete the .DBM files from the Legacy folder on your hard drive. Next download and install from our Web site the most recent update file to your Legacy program. Please visit http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/DownloadUpdate.asp and follow the directions on the screens to run/open this file from its current location.

I deleted all the .DBM files I could find (abt 10 of them) and then ran Install again, but got the Error 3265 error converting family file again.
I have rebooted my machine several times - no help.
I have "uninstalled" Legacy several times but it does NOT uninstall - it only removes the Install.log. Can you tell me what I may have done wrong or how to fix this from where I now stand - - -
Jim