On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 14:18:18 -0700 (PDT), Paula Ryburn
<paula.ryb...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Today I did some work "tidying up" my census master sources and citations.
>
>Last night after much consideration, I decided to keep the masters at the
>county level, and store either images or text at the detail citation level.
>Consequently, for about 10 master sources, this afternoon I "moved" the image
>(sometimes one page, sometimes two) from the master source to the detail
>citations.  (BTW, it wasn't too tedious, using of course the clip board &
>tagging.)
>
>I had done a backup at EOD yesterday, and then again just now as I finished
>these changes.  I did not add any new images to the pictures directory.  The
>zip'd file of multimedia has increased by 2 1/2-3 MEG!
>
>Therefore, I'm concluding that the images *are* "stored" multiple times, once
>for each detail citation, just like the "Text" fields are.  (previously stated
>by someone on this list)
>
>Which of course means I need to rethink keeping track of them at the detail
>level.
>
>Any thoughts?  Am I the only person running into disc space concerns?

Please provide a step-by-step of how you "moved" pictures.

Legacy only stores (in the MS Access DB) a "link" or "pointer" to a
picture (see tblBR). So it sounds like something you did possibly caused
a copy of a picture to get created and stored somewhere. Which is why a
step-by-step of what you did will help in assisting you.

--

Dennis Kowallek (LTools)
http://zippersoftware.com/ltools