Dan,
What I found really interesting was the date you used in your example:  12
September 1918 ----that exactly matches the date on the draft registration I'm
entering now.  This is my first draft registration to process, so that's quite
a coincidence!  --------or is there something special about that date?  Like,
was it the first day or something?  1918 sounds too late to me.
Thanks,
--Paula