Dennis M. Kowallek wrote:
On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 22:35:25 -0700 (PDT), Marilyn Clark <paddypeppe...@yahoo.com> wrote:

I am a new Legacy user, and have just begun to input some aliases.
Should I be using the Surname field when it is not different? Ex:
Joseph Wiley Embry is the main name, alias is J Wiley. Should I
include Embry again?

I don't enter the surname if it is the same because I don't like the
way it reads in reports. If I had my druthers I'd enter it and add an
option in reports to suppress the redundant surname. I think Legacy's
AKA handling needs lots of work.

I totally agree with you Dennis.

In fact, I think there's a desperate need to make a distinction between 'real' AKAs and what should really be classed as transcription errors that give rise to a multitude of alternate spellings.

Since the program comes with the series of 'Alt. ...' Event Types, what's wrong with creating an Event Type of 'Alt. Spelling' or something similar? This would alleviate reams of the 'Another name for...' notes and also allow you to source the alternative/wrong spelling.

Aliases should really be left for alternate, official surnames.

--
Regards,
Mike Fry