From: k...@legacyfamilytree.com [mailto:k...@legacyfamilytree.com] On Behalf
Of Sheri Harris
Sent: June-22-09 10:13 PM
To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
Subject: [LegacyUG] Legacy crash/internet connection

I have Legacy 7, latest build, installed on my laptop, which is running XP
with the latest updates, etc. I have a wireless network at home and have no
problems opening Legacy. However, when I don't have an internet connection,
Legacy just won't open. I get the opening "splash screen" and nothing else,
if I'm that lucky. It would crash at that point and be completely useless on
research trips, but would suddenly work when I got home. After many hours of
trying different settings I figured out to use the setting -- not to connect
to the internet (home tab-options-never connect). That seemed to take care
of the problem, so I thought. So this weekend I spent a lot of time getting
organized and my to-do lists, etc., prepared in Legacy, my husband and I
went to a library this past weekend. When I tried to open Legacy, nothing.
It had worked just fine earlier in the day before I left. I rebooted the
computer, restarted Legacy, nothing. I spent probably 30 minutes or more
trying to figure out the problem not to mention the battery use when I
finally decided to disable the wireless connection my computer located at
the library. That was the only thing I could think of that had changed since
the last use. Well, Legacy opened. I doubled checked my settings and Legacy
was still set not to connect to the internet. I did get some error messages
about missing fonts, printers, etc., but it did open and was able to finally
do some research, but was limited without internet connection. I was
terrified to reconnect to the internet fearing Legacy would crash. I've had
this happen at some hotels, etc, but not others. I just never know if Legacy
will open away from home anymore or not. Am I missing some really obvious
setting here or what?

Thanks for your help!!

Sheri in FO GA

Researching the Prater, McDonald, Harris, Daugherty, Trimmer families

www.westharrisfamily.com