Thank you, Brian.

For anyone else who might be interested in using Legacy the To Do feature as a
proper Research Log, here is the workaround I've come up with.  I actually like
it so much (since it puts the source on the same page as the tasks and
results), I may continue to use it even when the bug is fixed.

I enter the source, then copy and paste it into the Task Description field.
Example:

Finish transcription of all Big Creek records pertaining to Jesse Hancock

Source:  Regular Baptist Church at Big Creek Baptist (Henry Co., Iowa), "Church
records, 1836-1863," FHL microfilm 986,171, item 8.

Results:  6/29/09:  Partial transcription completed; found death date for Jesse
Hancock.