Penny Hayes wrote
But, could somebody please explain to me the difference between "nick-names" and "familiar names". I always thought they were the same thing, but the way the help files read, they are not.

I've never used the expression "familiar name" myself, but if I did I think I would mean just the same as "nick name" but it appears that the Legacy programmers think differently! It looks as though they call names such as Peggy (Margaret), Molly (Mary) and Jenny (Jennifer) familiar names but names like Digger, Shorty or Butch nicknames. Rather a fussy distinction, I think.

I disagree with the programmers over putting familiar names as quoted names in the Forename field and nicknames in the AKA field. I would put any of the familiar/nick/abbreviated names such as I have cited above in quotes after the regular forenames.

I only use AKA where someone was actually known by a different name on a formal basis, such as a performer using a stage name or a person changing their name (by Deed Poll or otherwise). In my own family file, "Jenny" is the quoted name after my 2 given forenames and my daughter is entered with the surname of my first husband, her father, but since she was about 10 she has chosen to use her step-father's name so Benson is entered as an AKA for her.

--
Jenny M Benson