Mike,

I think I see what you are getting at. If I am right, you are saying that when
you have a copy of the record you then include the details in the Master Source
linked to that event. This would be the correct procedure.

With the other Events you must have received the information from somewhere and
it is that detail which should be included in the appropriate source for that
"somewhere", eg. a website, email etc.

When/if you manage to obtain the original record this can be added as another
Source. It is quite acceptable to have more than one Source for an Event.

It is unfortunate that at present one cannot link each Source to a particular
field in the Event, although a note can be added with that detail should you so
wish.

Tutorials: Programme of adding videos commenced
http://www.fergys.co.uk/
View the Grimshaw Family Tree at:
http://www.fergys.co.uk/Grimshaw/
For The Fergusons of N.W. England See:

________________________________
> Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 13:36:51 -0700
> From: michaelbarb...@yahoo.com
> Subject: [LegacyUG] Sourcing
> To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
>

> I am new to the Legacy User Group. I have over 3000 records dating back to
> the late 1500s. For many of these records, I have a photograph of the record.
> When I have a copy of such records, I use the Master Source List or New
> Source to document this information. However, for many records and other
> information where I don't have the actual document, I use the Events/Facts
> capability in Legacy. Read on.
>
> ISSUE: I always use the "Events/Facts" capability regardless if I have the
> actual record or just a recording of the information. When I use the
> Events/Facts for information, I describe the source and details of the record
> exactly. In other words, I document the information appropriately using
> genealogy guidelines. I like using the
> Facts/Events capability because a lot of important information can be seen
> "at-a-glance" when you open up an individual's record in Legacy. I have
> Event/Facts for: birth, baptism, marriage, occupation, residence history,
> death and cause of death, immigration, naturalization, etc. While all records
> and information has been documented using the Events/Facts capability, many
> records have not been documented using the Master Source/New Source
> capability (e.g., those records where I don't have the actual record).
>
> QUESTION: Am I using the Events/Facts capability correctly. Should I be using
> the Master Source or New Source capability to document all information such
> as birth, marriage, death, regardless if I have the actual record or not? If
> I should use both Legacy capabilities, does this not duplicate information?
>
> Regards,
>
> Mike
>
> In necessariis unitas, in dubiis libertas, in omnibus autem caritas.
> In essentials unity, in doubtful things liberty, but in all things love.
> St. Augustine (A.D. 354 - 430)

Windows Live Messenger: Celebrate 10 amazing years with free winks and
emoticons.
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/157562755/direct/01/