I don't have a lot of time to do this response, and it has been a while
since I've done drag+drop from a split file - so this is from memory.
It helps if you think of the drag and drop more as an import than a
merge....  so it is asking if the person (people) that you are dragging
should keep the same RIN/MRIN's (if available) or if it should just give
them the next free new numbers.    The people in the file receiving the
person (people) will not have their numbers changed.

I hope that helped a bit!