>From personal experience, be sure that that is what you do want to do - i.e..,
>change the RIN/MRIN numbering, expecially if you have personal File ID numbers
>associated with to your research papers based on these numbers.

I have been working for the past month or so trying to get my records
straightened out because I did not observe the 'renumber RIN& MRIN' check box
and to my great chagrin renumbering took place unbeknownst to me.  The result -
all my hundreds of hard copy files backing up my digital files, based on a MRIN
numbering system, changed and I didn 't catch it for about a month. In
retrospect, I should have used only Master Sources instead of Detailed File
ID's, but that ship has sailed. So, I have been laboriously working my way
through 20,000 names to get back to some semblance of order. Right now I'm
wading my way through a 60 page File ID report to identify those numbers that I
need to correct. So far, I am about 80-% recoved, but learned a valuable
lesson.  I had 3 backups of my .fdb files, unfortunately, these backups
contained the wrong information before I discovered it.

The end result - watch the little boxes when you change anything - they can
have far reaching effects - you know 'the law of unintended consequences' is
always alive and waiting. :-)

Bob

---- Kathy Shiell-Stokes <shearerfamilyt...@3web.com> wrote:
> Ellen:
> The best and easiest way is to export your entire database to a
> gedcom and then import it into a new file making sure that,when
> importing, you have ticked the box entitled"renumber  RINs." You can
> select your starting point so rather than starting at number 1, all
> records from this import could start at 3000. I believe several
> LUGGers have some creative methods for numbering the RINs in their
> file. I would caution you though that should you be composing
> webpages, the RINs become the individual pages so such a renumbering
> would be a really wholesale change and likely not one that  people
> would take just for an afternoons entertainment. That said,
> individual RINs  CAN be renumbered to suit your fancy, if at a later
> date you need to make changes...
> Kathy08:19 AM 29/08/2009, you wrote:
> >Does anyone know how to change all of the RINs and MRINs in some easy
> >manner for over 3100 names in 7.0 deluxe?  snip...
> >Ellen Kramer
> >

> Legacy User Group guidelines:
>    http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/Etiquette.asp
> Archived messages:
>    http://www.mail-archive.com/legacyusergroup@legacyfamilytree.com/

/Users/robertrunion/Desktop/eMail Icons/signature.pdf