Holand,

As someone with a Mc surname, I obviously have thoughts on this.

I always write my name McGlone, but my dad often writes his as Mc
Glone, and just as often McGlone (my grandfather was registered on his
baptismal cert as Maglone, but that's another matter)!

There's no definitive standard that I'm aware of, and I believe it
really depends on the individual.  Just one other thing to be aware
of, though.  There are many Irish names (which is what I'm mostly
concerned with) which can be spelt in any of 3 ways, e.g, McGuire, Mc
Guire and Maguire are all different ways of writing the same name.
Someone who has a surname with Mc at the beginning could often write
it either way, but would rarely write it as Maguire, and vice versa.

One other thing, which is probably unrelated, relates to
alphabetisation.  In the Irish phone book (and this is usually the
same in other aspects of Irish life) all "Mc"/"Mac"/"Mc " surnames are
treated as if they are spelt Mac, and are placed between Mab and Mad
in alphabetical order.

Hope this doesn't confuse too much!

Regards,

Dermot McGlone.

--

Pablo Picasso  - "Computers are useless. They can only give you
answers." - http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/p/pablo_picasso.html