Mary,

I agree with those who have advised you that accepted
historical/genealogical procedure is to transcribe exactly what you see. You
never know how it might come into play later.

As an alternate to using "sic" in brackets, it is also appropriate to insert
(also in brackets) what you believe the name was intended to be or should
have been.

Brackets are the universal symbol for "I'm adding something here of an
editorial nature, and it was not in the original."

Janis Walker Gilmore