Silas appeared in front of the Magistrate with witnesses who stated under oath that they could swear that this Silas Simmons was the one that served in the War of 1812. There was a hold out on the issuance of his bounty land because there were TWO Silas Simmons', He had to come to court and prove who he was before they would release the land.

michele

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ron Ferguson" <rnldfe...@tiscali.co.uk>
To: <LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com>
Sent: Thursday, October 08, 2009 5:13 PM
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] How would you add this event?

Michele Lewis wrote:
My ggg grandfather appeared in court on 08 Nov 1851.  He was there
to prove that he was the Silas Simmons that fought in the War of
1812 and was at the Battle of New Orleans so that he would be
entitled to bounty land (there was another Silas Simmons in the area
so he went to court to prove he was who he said he was).

I am trying to figure out what the best way to title this event.
Affidavit? (that is what the document it).  Court Appearance (that
one just sounds strange).  This document isn't a deed.  I don't know
what I should title the event.  Any suggestions?

I want it to be an event so that I can show the progession of all
the events of his life in order of dates.  (one of the reasons I
like Legacy).

michele

Michele,

I don't wish to sound pedantic, but you do not acrtually tell us what the
document is, nor what it is about. It could be an oath (Affidavit) sworn by
him, in which case it was clearly contested, it could be a defendants
summons to court, a plaintiff's application to the court, the judgement of
the court and so forth. One should simply call the document what it is!

The suggestion in your other post re. type of source seems reasonable, for
what you have described and the Event could be the name of the court. I have
some Events such as Coroner's Court, Westmorland Quarter Sessions etc.,
and Place are obvious.

New Tutorial: Embed Blogger RSS feed into your Website
http://www.fergys.co.uk
Includes the family tree for Alan J Grimshaw
http://www.fergys.co.uk/Grimshaw/
For The Fergusons of N.W. England
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/fergys/
Follow me on twitter