jraymond...@aol.com wrote:

So Edward VII (son of Queen Victoria) and his son, George V (until his 1917 proclamation), ruled as the House of SCG. In 1917, however, George V issued this proclamation: "Now, therefore, We, out of Our Royal Will and Authority, do hereby declare and announce that as from the date of this Our Royal Proclamation Our House and Family shall be styled and known as the House and Family of Windsor, and that all the descendants in the male line of Our said Grandmother Queen Victoria who are subjects of these Realms, other than female descendants who may marry or may have married, shall bear the said Name of Windsor..."

An early example of a Deed Poll :-)

--
Best regards,
Mike Fry