On Sat, 05 Dec 2009 11:02:49 -0500, kowal...@iglou.com wrote:

>>I am using Thunderbird on WinXP and have messages sorted by thread. The
>>messages from the new list address sort perfectly, under the correct OP
>>and in the correct order.
>
>I did not say that they wouldn't appear to sort correctly in any
>particular email client, especially with so few messages having been
>posted thru the new server/list to date. I said that they will probably
>default to sorting by Subject (and Date) since the msg that In-Reply-To
>(and/or References) refers to doesn't exist on your machine.

Just to follow-up on email clients defaulting to threading by the
Subject and Date headers...

The Date header is the date from the poster's machine. So if the poster
has his clock set incorrectly, the posts may be threaded in reverse
order. I just encountered this with posts by Phil and Michael in thread
"Failure to backup".

This would not happen if the Legacy listserv were setting the
Message-ID's and In-Reply-To's properly.

***

Heads-up to Phil: Your post came thru with...

>Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 10:01:01 -0800

... which I think is 1:01 PM EST. It is only 11:11 AM EST as I type.

--

Dennis Kowallek (LTools)
http://zippersoftware.com/ltools

Archived