> I want to cite an article in a periodical (like the NGS Quarterly),
> and I'd like to use SourceWriter. What's the best way to do this? (I
> ask after consulting the user guide and online help and searching the
> LUG archives, maybe not very proficiently.)
>
> First, I'm curious why there is not a source template for articles,
> since they are a very common thing to cite.
>
> If I choose the source template for Journals, I'm not sure how to use
> it. If I put the name of the journal (e.g., NGS Quarterly) as the name
> of the master source, where do I put the name of the specific article?
>  Also, it doesn't seem to make sense to list an author for the journal
> as a whole.  (I don't want to cite the journal as a whole, although
> this may be a lumper-vs.-splitter problem.)  On the other hand, if I
> put the name of the article as the name of the new master source,
> where do I put the name of the journal and the volume, pages, and
> date?  Or should I make a master source for the journal or the
> newspaper and put all the details about the specific article I'm
> citing in the source detail screen?

I would use one of the Journal templates (you didn't say what format, I
don't think) and only give general information in the Master Source which
relates to all issues of that Journal in that format.  Then I'd add the
necessary detail in the Source Details fields.

Just because a field is named "Collection or Database" you don't
necessarily have to use it only for that purpose if it doesn't suit you.

(I definitely would *not* want a separate Source for every article I
wanted to cite although a dedicated "splitter" might do that.)

> I considered trying to create a new source template for articles, but
> couldn't figure out how to do that.

You can't do it, as far as I know.
--
Jenny M Benson