I agree it is ridiculous to have to renter text from a computer back
into another program.

There are freeware programs that convert pdf to word etc. I would use
that as a work around.
Before I started using that method I seem to remember in the early days
of pcs that you could output to a 'pretend' printer in your list of
printers which actual created a text file. Unfortunately I've forgotten
the details of the driver that created this printer in your drop down
list. There might be some people still using that method.

Another option is to create a pdf file and then use an OCR program such
as Omniplus to create a text Word file. This is something I do
occasionally. Anything rather than retype.

Personally I don't use Word very much I prefer Serif's Page Plus. This
imports pdf as text so I don't have this problem.