From: Brian L. Lightfoot [mailto:br...@the-lightfoots.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 4:50 PM
To: LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com
Subject: RE: [LegacyUG] Test-- Subscribed, but no messages arriving

There are at least two incarnations of the definition of "greylisted". One
involves something that is not yet "blacklisted" but on a watch list, or such
similar happenings when a particular mail server is ill-configured. But the
most common usage is that of an anti-spam filter which effectively blocks the
message the first time it is received and requests that it be resent after a
certain delay, typical 300 seconds or so. Since most spammers don't bother
resending messages, legitimate messages are supposed to get resent as per
standard protocol.

In other words, your mail hosting account has filters established on it. The
downside is that all your mail is delayed. It can get worse; if the sending
server is configured to ignore such requests, then even legitimate messages
will never get sent a second time and thus never arrive.

Greylisting practices are highly debated and one big criticism is that their
very nature triples the amount of messages being sent, as if the Internet
weren't becoming more and more crowded every day. In many European and Asian
countries where the average user bandwidth is much more than their American
counterparts can enjoy, this practice is not yet seen as a problem.

Brian in CA