Tom Thorpe wrote:
> Wondering what others think of using Facebook photos and information
> (e.g. birthdate, other family member names and FB links) that are
> accessible to everyone in my genealogical software (Legacy). I have
> several extended family members and their children who are on FB and
> have posted photos for all to see, friends and non-friends alike.
>
> I do not intend to publish the material but had hoped to include it
> all in a book of descendants to be handed out at the next family
> reunion. Thanks for your thoughts.
>
> Tom
>
> P.S.  Anyone know of a good source guide for genealogical ethics?

Hi Tim!

See my post "Genealogical Ethics" in there, I mention to Bill about two
different textbooks:

1. BCG (Board for Certification of Genealogists) Genealogical Standards
Manual (don't let the certification part fool you, these are standards
everyone should follow when doing research)
2. Evidence Explained: Citing HIstory Sources from Artifacts to
Cyberspace by Elizabeth Shown Mills (which will help after you obtain
permission from members to use their photos on Facebook and cite them in
your reports)

Now assuming you are getting permission to possible print or use the
images on Facebook from their owners, here is what will be most
important in your report:

For example, for online materials such as Facebook, your "core elements"
of your citations in your report will be: (this is right from page 57 of
EE). I am sure there is also a template for this in Legacy, but just not
sure yet which one without looking and if I do that I will have it open
all day doing stuff :)

    * Author/creator/owner of the website's CONTENT (which would be your
      relative)
    * Title of the website, which would be Facebook
    * Type of item (image?discussion post? etc.)
    * Publication data
    * Place (URL)
    * Date (posted, updated, copyrighted, or accessed)
    * Specific detail for that citation (such as "image of Joan Smith &
      Daughter")

So an example citation in your report might look something like this:

Smith, Bob. Facebook. Digital image. http:www.facebook.com/page :
accessed 13 March 2010. Image of Joan Smith and child, 1975.

You may even put a note afterwards stating something like:

Original privately held by Bob Smith [ADDRESS FOR PRIVATE USE ONLY],
City, State.

This way, no matter what, any relative should be able to find whatever
image you are citing, even if you don't have it. :)

Hope this helps :)

Angelique Abeare-Welch