Mike Fry wrote:
> Dear Millennia,
>
> Please be aware that the General Register Office is in Southport,
> Lancashire. Not Merseyside! Merseyside is not, to the best of my
> knowledge, a city in Lancashire.
>
> I noticed this when attempting to assign a Repository to a
> SourceWriter-generated Master Source item. When looking at the
> details, I found that the supplied address is:-
>
> General Register Office
> PO Box 2
> Southport
> Merseyside
> Lancashire
> PR8 2JD
>
> On the GRO website, the address is given as
>
> General Register Office
> PO Box 2
> SOUTHPORT
> PR8 2JD

Mike,

You are almost correct! Historically Southport has always been in
Lancashire, however, in 1974 we did have a local government reorganisation
which created a number of metropolitan "counties", of which Merseyside was
one, and Southport was included included in it.

However, due to their rebellious nature and lack of cost inhibitions, all
these they were abolished during the 1990s and their powers devolved to
their consitituent metropolitan districts. Southport was in the Metropolitan
District of Sefton and still is, despite much local opposition. Even prior
to 1974 Southport was a county borough, so did not come under the
administration of Lancashire County Council, although it was within the
county boundaries.

Thus, where it is now becomes one of those typical British Fudges!
Merseyside no longer exists, so it isn't there and it does not come under
the governance of Lancashire, but that of Sefton. However the traditional
county boundary is still recognised for civil and ceremonial purposes and
hence includes Southport, but, then so does Liverpool where a Liverpudlian
would say that they are from Merseyside (which doesn't exist).

So Southport is not in Merseyside, but is run by Sefton Metropolitan
District Council, and not by Lancashire County, but for all other purposes
is in Lancashire. The postal code (Zip) reference, "PR" is that of Preston,
Lancashire, which is the administrative centre for Lancashire, despite the
fact that Lancaster is still the county town.

Well there we go!

Ron Ferguson

Now completely revised and expanded:
http://www.fergys.co.uk
Includes the family tree for Alan J Grimshaw
And The Fergusons of N.W. England