On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 23:21:02 -0400, BearJerCares
<bearjerca...@comcast.net> wrote:

>May I please ask your opinion on the the exact format of locations (both
>born in and died in)?
>
>I have been trying to follow:
>City, County, State, Country
>
>format and if one is missing, I insert the extra commas like
>
>City, , State, Country
>
>I'm comfortable with that except when I know that someone lived at a
>certain city and I'm not sure the person was born there, it would be
>nice to be able to put that in the same field instead of having to put
>it in the extra notes or events fields.  So, I've been putting:
>
>City, County, State, Country, Of
>
>This will build an extra set for locations in Legacy, but the advantage
>is it is in plain view in the basic information.  What is your take on
>the best way to do this type?

If a source says "of", you should use "of". The question is where? There
is no right answer. Legacy provides you with the ability to do it
several ways. Play around with various options (run a few reports/web
pages) and judge for yourself. Just be consistent.

One advantage to using the "of" location like you do is that certain
charts that print birth dates will display it. If you put it in an
event/note, the charts won't display it.

The 3-place location format works fine for my U.S. research (I don't
include the last place if U.S.). It covers 99.9% of my U.S. locations
and makes sorting the location list easy. Reports offer the option to
remove the extra commas. I enter non-U.S. locations differently ... for
example "Graudenz, Westpreußen".

As far as the n-place location is concerned, you can enter it as the
long location name, then enter a different version as the short name. So
you could have ", , Ohio, USA" as the long name and "Ohio" as the short
name. I always use the short name for reports ... it reads better IMHO.

Do what works best for you ... with an eye towards what you might want
to do in the future.

P.S. It's easy to remove extra commas from a location name. It's
difficult to add them back.

--

Dennis Kowallek (LTools)
http://zippersoftware.com/ltools