Sorry not to be replying to the thread, but I haven't been receiving any
LUG messages to reply to.

Firstly, Ron said

I'm sorry, but in this case Legacy are correct. This is basic computing, if
you have files with the same file name in various directories just how do
you expect a machine to tell which is the correct one - it cannot see a
picture. You can't blame the operating system either because it also is
blind.

Actually, I don't expect the machine to know which of two identically
named files I want.  That is why I expect the program to ask me if it
has found the right one, not make basic assumptions which it cannot
verify.  That is basic programming.   If you don't know, don't assume,
ask the user.  All the code is there.  They already ask when you let
Legacy do the search, why not ask when it does it on its own?

In a second post, Ron asked

I would be interested to know how you set it to auto-search for missing
files - even if it to me seems to be a bad idea anyhow!

I don't know of such a setting either.  It just happens.  I'm glad you
agree that it is a bad idea.  Here's how to test it.
1.  Create two folders A and B and put a different jpg file in each.
Rename one so it has the same name as the other. Make sure you know wich
file is in which directory.

2.  Open Legacy, attach one file to the source detail for one user and
then attach the other to another user.

3. Check that the correct file is attached to each user.

4.  Shut down Legacy and rename one of the directories (or even delete it).

5.  Restart Legacy and edit the source detail for the the user with the
missing picture.  The detail image will either be blank or may possibly
show an image.

6.  Now click the image and you will find the wrong image.  Check that
both users now have the same image.

QED.

Jenny then said

Personally, I don't know how people could cope with having several
different files with the same name, anyway.  When I look at a filename I
want to know immediately if this jpg is Joe Bloggs's Birth Certificate,
Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate or Wedding photo. The fact that
they are folders named Birth Certificates, Marriage Certificates etc is
just doubly helpful.

Here's my basic situation.  I find no difficulty in keeping track of
multiple files with the same name.  In fact, I find it easier than
having to maintain unique names for all files, something that no
operating system or program I have ever met has required.  If this
scheme is fundamentally flawed, please explain to me why it is wrong.

I have been following the basic Legacy suggestion to file paper under
MRIN sequence and move children's paper to their own MRIN when they
marry.  Applying that logic to computer files, I have a few hundred
folders of the form D:\Genealogy\Data\MRIN hisname and hername.   Within
each folder I have the images applicable to that marriage, along with
text files containing research notes, etc.

I am planning to give a copy of my data to family when I get to the UK
later in the year, so I have named each file with a nice and easy to
recognise name.  E.g.  Rather than ESSRG12_1365_1367-0170.jpg which
would mean nothing to them, I have called it "1891 Census image.jpg"
Actually, I can never remember the RG numbers, so it is much easier for
me too.  If I have a file called "Birth Certificate - Fred.jpg  in a
folder called "M198 George Rolfe and Mary Jones", it is pretty easy to
work out that it is for that Fred Rolfe who was the son of George and Mary.

All I need for this to be perfect is for Legacy to ask whether the "1891
Census Image.jpg" it found is the one I want, or would I like to go find
it myself.  Oh, yes, the ability to rename a file inside Legacy and have
all occurrences renamed would be good.  But that's another story and one
which, I am assured, is under investigation.

PS  If anyone knows why I'm not getting LUG messages...

Thanks  Tony

Database version: 6.14910