wrote
>I enjoy genealogy, the quest for more data and the satisfaction of
>seeing a tree extending several generations. IMHO, genealogy is for
>sharing; my relatives are equally as entitled to what I've found as I
>am.
>
>Why should I share my work with a pay site? Since when has Ancestry
>ever advertised "Share your family tree with us so we can brag that we
>have one billion trees on line, (to tempt you to join) and we'll pay
>you $X per name".
>
>I've had much more luck at Rootsweb, with both their trees and their
>message boards, and of course access is free. Anything I upload goes
>straight to Rootsweb or any other free site.

The more sites to which you upload your tree, the more chance of someone
else who shares your relatives seeing it and making contact with you.
Rootsweb (which is owned by Ancestry I believe) may be free but it
doesn't have the vast collection of searchable databases which the
Ancestry site has:  that's what you are paying for.
--
Jenny M Benson