From: WILLARD WHEATON [mailto:wwheato...@verizon.net]
Sent: Thursday, July 08, 2010 9:37 AM
To: LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com
Subject: [LegacyUG] How best to transfer my 60 years of Genealogy work out of
state.

I am getting too old to continue my work, and want to transfer to a younger
relative with the minimum work for her to get the system up and running.
My program and data, pictures, videos, documents, etc. amount to 35GB of disk
space, but she does not have that much available space on her Hard Drive.
My program and data is on my C:\Program Files\Legacy 70 Deluxe\  and \Data
folder for the multimedia material.
We apparently have two options.
1. Get a bigger C: drive for her computer, so that all my multimedia material
(which now points to the C: drive) can be simply
    installed on her new C: drive. However, to do that means she has to
transfer all her current stuff to the new hard drive and I am not sure she can
easily do that.
2. Get a new external USB hard drive, and put a new version of Legacy on it.
Transfer all my data files to it, and send it to her.
    However, presently my Legacy pictures point to locations on my C: drive.
When she get's this drive, her computer won't recognize it as her C: drive so
they data won't be found.
    I know of no easy method of reassigning a new location for each picture to
have Legacy look somewhere else, without reinstalling each and every
    picture (over 3500) which is not my idea of Fun!
    I thought that if I made the external Hard Drive bootable, then maybe it
would boot as the C:drive when plugged into her machine, and the system would
work as currently devised and                  operating.

I'm sure other people have had this problem come up and thought I would find
out what you did in a similar situation.

Thanks in advance for your consideration,
Willard Wheaton Jr.