On 7/31/2010 8:03 AM, Bob wrote:
> On 2010-07-31 02:22, roy_delos_re...@comcast.net wrote:
>> Might I suggest that, considering such unions are legal in various
>> jurisdictions worldwide, it is well past time for that oft mentioned
>> re-writing to begin.
> I couldn't agree more!  A number of enhancements requested by users the
> past few years are not even being considered for implementation because
> we were told they would require a rewrite of the program.  However, a
> week or two ago one of the Millennia staff said that a rewrite would
> force the developers of all those Legacy add-on programs to do some
> updating of their own.  As long as Millennia considers the convenience
> of other companies to be a higher priority than the needs of their
> customers, I fear that we will never see that rewrite happen no matter
> how badly it is needed.

I DO NOT WANT THIS TO BECOME A BASH LEGACY THREAD.  I LOVE LEGACY AND
KEEP WANTING TO GET MORE OUT OF IT.

There are many programs out there on the market that work with 3rd party
plug-ins.  Almost every major revision of the program requires the
plug-in writers to update their stuff.  Some companies even privately
give the API early on in the development process.   This should not be
an issue for Legacy.

At the same time as a program grows many companies will take many
plug-ins features and integrate them directly so so they are not needed.
   (I don't want to buy a plug-in just to get a list if death dates
correct like was mentioned in the other thread.)

Hopefully we will see this and other needed improvements in future
version 8.  As someone in the IT industry I can say it is not uncommon
to have to rewrite major portions of code to take a product to the next
level.  This is common unless you don't want to go to the next level.

I just checked and Legacy 7.0  was announced in the blog on June 4, 2008
and prerelease copies of 7.0 were being given out the week of May 12 at
NGS.  It also looks like Legacy 6 came out in 2005 but not sure when.

Legacy 7.5 seams like it is has taken much longer than expected and
unfortunately the features won't benefit many of us for a while.

Originally I had heard/read that there is a new major release of Legacy
about every 2 years. I have not followed Legacy that close to know for
sure, but I wonder if we will see any time soon any major new features
and capabilities in the near future for those of us where the 7.4/7.5
stuff is not applicable.

Again I love Legacy and don't want to switch.  Don't kick me off the
list because someone thinks I am bashing Legacy.

Alan