I have been moving a fair sized (over 20000 individuals) genealogical
file from Family Tree Maker to Master Genealogist to Legacy via GEDCOMs.
One of the first steps to getting the file in order is to clean-up the
Master Location List.  I want to locate places by latitude and longitude and
its proper historic name.  I have been working primarily from Legacy's
Master Location List with "Show People", "Show Map", "Sort the Location
List", and option - "Jump with Edit Sorting" checked.  "Sort" is "Right to
Left (position 1 is on the right)", and Legacy's Geo-location database is
installed and the Geo text files modified to add " Co." to USA county names
and change USA as a country name to "United States".  I have used the "Edit"
button and "Combine"/"Combine-With" buttons extensively to get final place
names, locations, and lists of individuals using each historic location to
be correct.
    In this process I have discovered that there is a Legacy "FEATURE" (as
per Legacy Support from a bug report) that has caused me real grief.
    The "Edit" button on The Master Location List brings up an "Edit
Location" screen that has editable boxes for: Preposition, (Long) Location
(9 fields separated by commas), Short Location (9 fields separated by
commas), Notes, Latitude, Longitude, and a box for verified (a total of 23
fields for information).  There are buttons for "Save", "Cancel", "Help",
and "Show Geo Location List".  When one enters data in these boxes and
selects "Save" then a warning box with the message "This change will affect
all records using THIS location ....." is superimposed on the Master
Location List screen that shows a list of  "People using THIS location".  If
"Yes" is selected and there is another location in the Master Location List
with the identical LONG Location 9 fields then the newly entered location
information is deleted and the individuals associated with this new
information are added to the list of individuals using the other existing,
but perhaps different, location.  This means that Legacy only checks 9 of 23
location fields before performing an automatic "Combine"/"Combine-With"
sequence.  NOT NECESSARILY A DESIRED MERGER.
    Other than being very careful, is there a way to edit the Master
Location List that does not use the "Edit" button?