-----Original Message-----
From: Ron Ferguson [mailto:ronfergy....@tiscali.co.uk]
Sent: Wednesday, September 01, 2010 5:44 PM
To: LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Settings don't stay set - a pet peeve

Gary A Crull wrote:
> I have 2 pet peeves that bug me no end. Hopefully someone will be
> able to explain why I have this aggravation.
>
> The first is when I set the column width on the columns displayed on
> the INDEX tab they don't remain at the width I set them. The next
> session I open may or may not see them remain the same. This is
> especially true when I've shut down Windows 7 and restart the next
> day. The width will revert to a default width - meaning plenty of
> white space in the columns with fewer showing than when I narrow the
> width. (I have 9 columns defined for display. By manually defining
> the width by grasping the column marker and making the columns more
> narrow I can see in total all but the 9th one. Only a part of it
> displays - which is OK.
>
> The 2nd pet peeve is when adding a picture to an individual. I always
> have to redefine the path for Legacy to find where my photos are
> located (I keep them in a folder within DropBox app). Once it's
> redefined there's no problem UNTIL I shut down Windows 7. Then I have
> to go back and redefine the path again. Photos that have been
> attached show up on the individuals show up normally, it's just when
> I get ready to add something new.
>
> I don't understand why these situations occur. Anybody got any ideas
> or need more (better) explanation of the situation?
>
> Thanks
>
> gc

Gary,

I have not yet installed Legacy on my Win7 machine, which I only got
yesterday, so if your 2nd peeve is something specific to that o/s then I
have yet to find it!

However, I have never bothered with what is set in the Locations, in fact I
have just had a look and I have some 20+ paths shown there, some are
current, some are not. When I fill up a folder with images, I just start
another and Legacy adds to to my list. I do not have them in Dropbox, and I
am not certain that I will ever put them there, probably not because I
prefer not to pay!! But I cannot see that it would make much difference if I
did.

So, basically, what I am saying is, why bother about defining the paths? I
have never lost images by using my total lack of technique BTW.

Ron Ferguson

*New* Tutorial: Add Location Pins to Google Earth
http://www.fergys.co.uk
Includes the family tree for Alan J Grimshaw
And the Fergusons of N.W. England