From: Bill Wood [mailto:steamingb...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, 24 September 2010 6:43 PM
To: LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Genealogical Research & Record Keeping Software

Hello,

Have you considered using Microsft access and or Sun OpenOffice and using it as
a front end to Legacy and adding your own extra tables ?

Can elaborate if you wish

Bill

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 11:02 PM, Ken <mistyblu...@bigpond.com> wrote:

Hi everyone,

For a while now I have been struggling to find an appropriate software product
that will allow me to record electronically all my genealogical information &
documents I hold as well as all those scraps of information you gather along
the way which invariably become useful later in your research.  My genealogical
program will continue to be Legacy 7 but I’m looking for a complimentary
research/record software program to help me keep track of all my documents and
to cross reference all the data.  That said, I don’t want to invest a lot of
time in a program that doesn’t fulfil what’s expected.

Of late I have been testing Clooz 2.1 because it was said that it could link to
Legacy but I have since found out that it can’t link to Legacy 7.  It also has
to run under XP compatibility mode on my Windows 7 operating system.  I have
also read some online reviews which haven’t been too kind about this program so
am a bit hesitant to invest in it.  Nevertheless, I do like the way it allows
you to link a number of people to a source document such as a Marriage
Certificate.

I have also been testing Custodian 3 but I find it’s a bit frustrating because
there is only one main index which is based on Names set out with single line
entries for a person each time they are noted in a source document.  As such, a
name will be listed four or more times based upon what certificate or source
document they have been noted within – this is a bit confusing.  It would be
far better to just have the name appear once and when you click on the record
it opens up another screen that provides you with all the source entries for
that person.

The final program I have been using is Genota 4 which links to Legacy.  The
program appears good for keeping track of all those loose notes and
correspondence but I haven’t worked out whether it will be able to link/cross
reference a person to different source documents.

Anyway, before venturing any further on this project it would be great to hear
the views of other members of the LUG.

Maybe there is another program out there that is compatible with Legacy 7 which
I don’t know about.

Regards,

Ken.