On 20/10/2010 18:38, Becky wrote:
> My great-grandmother’s maiden name was Hoover; her father died, and her
> uncle adopted her so she was also a Huffaker. She had a sister who was
> not adopted and so her maiden name was Hoover. I write her full name
> down as:
>
> Birdye Hoover Huffaker Wilkins
>
> But then the Hoover shows as a middle name not her real maiden name and
> because Huffaker is her adopted maiden name, her sister doesn’t record
> as her sister.
>
> How do I show Hoover as her maiden name, Huffaker as her adopted maiden
> name and keep the relationship with her sister and her uncle from being
> eliminated on a pedigree or family group sheet?

Although Legacy "suggests" or "assumes" that children will have the same
surname as their parents, you can actually change the name to anything
you want.  You need to use one name as the "usual" surname and the other
one as an AKA.  It is up to you which way round you do that.

It is usual always to refer to a woman by her maiden name (within
genealogy) but de luxe Legacy gives you the option to display women's
married names as well as their maiden names if you so wish.  (Also
AKAs.)  Select from the screen-specific Options menu in Index View or
Name List.

--
Jenny M Benson