From: James Cook [mailto:jc1...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 13, 2011 1:52 PM
To: LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com
Subject: [LegacyUG] What are the pros and cons of splitting or lumping
facts?

Not talking sources here.  I've not been consistent, and am working on
doing some cleanup of my data.  For example, it's important to me to
keep track at an event level of an individuals appearance on the
census register.  I use a census event, but a residence event would
serve my purposes just as well.  As long as I have an event every 10
years I can see in my time lines and such, I'm good.  The census can
give more information though, such as birth or alt. birth, name or alt
name, occupation, veteran status, etc.  Some times I've added separate
facts and sourced with the census record, other times I just add notes
to the census event.  This is true of various sources, I'm just using
census as an example here.

I'm leaning toward lumping what I'll call these secondary facts in the
notes going forward with my cleanup.  Before doing so, I was wondering
if I'd cut myself off from some useful ways to slice, dice, chop,
mesh, share, search or otherwise much with my data.  Maybe I'm not
seeing a downside here that I should be.

TIA