From: Deb
Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 5:55 AM
To: LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com
Subject: Slight OT: [LegacyUG] It's official - Legacy 7.5 is now available

Gene & others.

The IGI can not be edited.  It is an index of individuals (real or not) for
whom an ordinance was performed at a specified Temple on a specified date.
The information given in the index which is claimed to be wrong merely
identifies the individual/individuals (existing or not) for whom these
ordinances were performed.  Yes there are persons identified who never
existed.  (John Doe married Jane Smith on 12 januvember 1429 ss 12 Jun 1993
Atlan.)  On Jun 12 1993, someone requested and had performed a spousal
sealing of a John Doe and Jane Smith who were married on the 12th of
Januvember 1429).. If there never was a john doe and Jane Smith who were
married, or if the date or place of a factual marriage was different, then
the ordinance was not for them....

Our family has been blessed to have an uncle who wrote a letter about his
family and their whereabouts in 1895.  He goes back to some ancient history
(1790-1820), and makes an innocent comment about "his uncle John Weaver",
and because of that one comment, there have been about 20 people
misidentified in the family.  Many of these show up in the IGI.  There are
an additional 7 of his nieces misnamed and given incorrect spouses..

I have found many similar errors in Census Indices, marriage transcriptions,
cemetery records etc.

Regardless of the source, or the informant, all data should be carefully
evaluated.  The IGI is merely a "pointing" tool to help you identify a place
or person to who you might look further.

Stepping off my soapbox now..

Deb