Brian,

I had assumed a mechanism of that kind, but more seems involved.  As you have
put it, outcomes have to be or tend to even and quantized to powers of two.  My
last major cleanup had numbers to the low/mid 60s by estimation, which did seem
clustered to roughly approximate by keystrokes while dismissing "unknown and
unknown" parents to zero, finding no (simple) 20-70s, and all the large blocks
in the low/mid 70s, spanning about 72-76.  No simple doubling scheme works to
get that.

What also showed up were cases where upward traversal truncated and the parent
was present but embedded, i.e. with multiple "unknowns and unknown" both above
and below.  More telling were a few cases where a parent and a parent set were
both embedded and separated.  The parent sets were from the missing spouse
being found and added in one file, probably the right hand one in the
Intellimerge.

Unlike in the major cleanup mentioned, this last one had very few couples with
the multiplied spouses, (identical RINs, one being asterisked, the order
apparently always matching). None had "unknown and unknown" complications, but
that could be happenstance.  Dennis' good catch on bad screen refresh did lead
to another perhaps revealing datum though.  It impelled me to examine the
unrelated RINs for link damage, none being found, but RIN 210 was paired with
an "unknown", so I dismissed her after noting that that would unlink her from
husband and child.  After dismissing hundreds of others, mostly parent pairs,
plus fixing duplicate pairs, as a last check, I ran Treefinder - and there was
RIN 210 as an isolate.  Apparently dismissing an "unknown" spouse breaks the
other's links too, or the child was only linked to "unknown".

The logical and digital expression of "unknowns" raise some questions.  I don't
know how Legacy and gedcom work, but digital considerations may require space
reservation for pointers and that they have targets.  Logically, since children
commonly have two parents, "unknown and unknown" seems redundant. A single
"unknown" may be needed though to indicate child relationship to an unknown
parent, distinguishing from those of named - or similarly unknown ones.  Both
logically and digitally, that leads to different classes and properties for
"unknowns", e.g. a tree or branch head without parents merges quietly, but one
with "unknown" ones apparently breeds them. Broadly a useful logical division
might be "signaling" and "silent". (For programmers, see NaNs and their
complexities.)

Legacy might have been better designed assigning UID numbers to "unknowns".
Certainly, if Legacy automatically assigns an invisible "unknown" to partner an
unpaired parent if a child is linked, and silently breeds pairs of them with
minimal warning, that's either a bug or at least deserving of written
explanation and warning.  A simpler alternative might be to simply include
purge of all redundant "unknowns" during File Repair, though multiple and
embedded parent sets are problematic.  Best, obviously, would be acting at data
entry time, but it may be too late for that.

kb