Well said, exactly what I do!
Russ Strong

-----Original Message-----
From: Jenny M Benson
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 9:15 AM
To: LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Source Pictures

On 30/03/2011 13:49, Walter V. Munza wrote:
> Can someone tell me the difference between a Master Source Picture and a
> Source Detail Picture. These two items can be found in the assigned
> source window for an individual. At the bottom half there are four tabs:
> Output, Text/Comments, Repository and Pictures. Under the Picture tab
> there are two places to upload a picture. One is called _Master Source
> Picture_ and the other is _Source Detail Picture_. What is the difference?

When you create a Master Source you can attach it to any number of
Events (including Facts like Name, Date of Birth, etc) and the Source
will be exactly the same for every Record to which it is attached.  In
order to make that Source Specific to a particular Person or Event you
can add Source Detail which specifies particular details which are only
relevant to the particular Event/Fact to which that Detail is attached.

For example, a Master Source might be a book and you might have many
people whose Birth is recorded thwho are mentioned in it.  But for each
person the specifics (the precise volume/page) are different.

In just the same way, a picture or other file attached to a Master
Source will be relevant to every instance of that Master Source and will
show up every time it is used.  However, if you attach a picture or a
file to a Source Detail it should be relevant only to those specific
details and it will only show up when that particular Master
Source/Source Detail combination is used.  If you added a picture to the
Master Source of a book (which you probably wouldn't!) it might be a
scan of the title page) but you might well attach a scan of page 7 to
the Source Citations for Joe Bloggs who is mentioned on page 7, and a
scan of page 102 to Jane Doe's Source Citations because she is mentioned
on page 102.

--
Jenny M Benson