Michael,
I think you asked this last week and this is what I posted:

Answer to 1. goto View>Master Lists>Locations then on right side of screen
click on Options>Espand/Contract Location Parts here is the screen where you
can fix the problem. There is a box under USA Country Name, the 2nd box is Add
“, United States” for more info on using this screen select the Help button.
The sections are pretty self explanatory. Action to Take, Records to Change,
Parts to Work On.
Answer to 2. from the Legacy Help file:
Selecting a Location

As you scroll up and down in the list and highlight specific lines, the
location on that line is filled into the two main core fields at the top of the
window, Core and Core +. The Core field shows the regular location name as
found in the list. The Core + field adds any other location pieces that were
attached to the incoming place name. For example, let's say that you were
looking at a person's Individual Information screen and the Burial location
field contained Hilltop Cemetery, Benton City, Benton,. (Notice that there is
no state or country name.) After clicking the Geo Location List icon at the end
of field, the Geo Location Database window appears with Hilltop Cemetery,
Benton City, Benton, Iowa, USA in the Core + field and Benton City, Benton,
Iowa, USA in the Core field. The Core + field has the non-standard Hilltop
Cemetery kept in it. But notice that the state and country have been filled
into both locations, and notice that there are two locations down in the list,
one in Iowa, USA and one in Washington USA. Because the top location in the
list is highlighted, its pieces have been filled into the Core + and Core
fields. Now lets assume that you know that the correct location is in
Washington. When you click on the Washington location line down in the list,
the Core + and Core fields change to include the state of Washington and USA as
the country. Hilltop Cemetery is also retained in the Core + field.

You can select either the Core or the Core + version of the location to be
returned and filled into the field from which you opened the Geo list by
clicking on the Select button next to the desired place name.

Hope this helps.

Russ Strong