Margaret:

It sounds like you're wrestling with the same problem that bothers many Legacy
users.  That's the fact that it isn't necessary (or even desirable) to put
something in *every* field of a template.  In your case you would put nothing
at all in the Text/Comments section of the Master Source.  It's supposed to be
a generic citation that can be used for several different records and will, by
it's very nature, be incomplete as a standalone source citation.  As an example
for using that field, there's a huge published family history that I've cited
many times but I have a comment in the Master Source Text/Comments field that
says, "Caution:  This book contains many errors and inconsistencies; facts must
be cross-checked against other records."  A comment like that could go into
either the upper or lower box of the Text/Detail screen since, as far as I
know, the final result would be about the same.  Most importantly, though, is
that the comment applies to every fact taken from the book.

The Source Clipboard is where you enter details specific to a given record as I
described earlier.  In your case, this would be the transcription of one of the
marriage documents.  The same Master Source can then be used as a basis for
creating complete citations for the other marriage records from the same state,
city/county, etc.

To correct your current state of affairs, I'd start over and create a new
Master Source with just the bare bones data.  To save re-typing the
transcriptions, I'd copy/paste those to a text document.  Then follow the
procedure I outlined and on the Source Clipboard copy/paste the details for one
of the records.  When you've finished switching all of them around you can
delete the old Master Sources with the extraneous details and be left with only
the new one.

Regarding the message about applying changes to all Master Sources or only a
new one, that's a very handy gadget.  If you find that you have a typo in the
Master Source data you can correct it just once at the Master Source List level
and it will apply to all instances where that Master Source is used.  Even
better, if you already have a Master Source created for the 1910 census for
Kings County, New York, and you later want a new Master Source for Queens
County in 1910, you can just open the Kings County version, change it to Queens
in a couple of places, and save it as a *new* Master Source.

Many of the little features of Legacy are designed just to save tedious
repetitive data entry and thereby reduce typos.  You can't expect to pick them
all up at the outset; you learn the tricks over time, trial, watching the
videos, and reading the LUG list.  Most of the posts these days are about more
advanced issues but I suspect that there are new users who are shy about
posting basic queries and would love to see someone step forward and ask some
newbie questions.  Don't hold back.

Kirsten