Thanks Margaret and Alan
However, your suggestions do not help. The problem is that I have 2
different change over dates for double dating (England and Scotland). If  I
turn off double dating and enter 3 Jan 1721/22., It  becomes 3 Jan 1722.. If
I set double dating  to 2500 as suggested by Alan, all dates between Jan &
March are double dated . If I set it to 1600, I cannot enter a double date
for my English records. between 1600 and 1752  as they revert to a single
year as before..
Judy

The topic of double dating is covered in Mastering Legacy: Names, Dates &
Places.

Geoff's suggestion was not to select double dating preference when you
select options>customize.

You entered your date as 3 Jan 1721/1722, instead enter 3 Jan 1721/22.
That should do it.